Author Topic: The great big "How do I....?" thread  (Read 576 times)

Admin

• Administrator
The great big "How do I....?" thread
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:58:10 PM »
Post your questions, suggestions and problems with the forums here, ta :)

Zultmeth

• ARC Officer
Re: The great big "How do I....?" thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
Testy mctestface

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »
Testy mctestface

Hmm, note to self - must see if there's an upvote system for this.

Kelianda

• ARC Officer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Or a downvote system?  :-X

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
Actually, your post reminded me that I still hadn't done that. Found a mod which I will install shortly that allows both upvote and downvote in the same way the wow forums do.

I don't anticipate guildies using the downvote for each other because we're not that kind of bunch (and I'd actually prefer people not to use it in that context, much better to just comment or walk away from something you don't like and just upvote the things you do like), but it'll be good if a spammer ever gets through as it means anyone who sees it before a Mod comes along can at least bury the post.

Teena

• Idiot formally known as Fifi
  • ARC Officer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
Hey Admin, how you doing? I just wanted to post and say you're amazing and I'm your biggest admirer - I hope you don't mind me saying that!  :-*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:30:22 PM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »
Hey Admin, how you doing? I just wanted to post and say you're amazing and I'm you're biggest admirer - I hope you don't mind me saying that!  :-*

Well I really like you too! I just wish I could find out why you don't show as an Officer under you Avatar ???

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »
Actually, your post reminded me that I still hadn't done that. Found a mod which I will install shortly that allows both upvote and downvote in the same way the wow forums do.

I don't anticipate guildies using the downvote for each other because we're not that kind of bunch (and I'd actually prefer people not to use it in that context, much better to just comment or walk away from something you don't like and just upvote the things you do like), but it'll be good if a spammer ever gets through as it means anyone who sees it before a Mod comes along can at least bury the post.

Scratch that, the mod doesn't work with this version of SMF and needs some stuff updated manually in it's files which may be beyond my humble capabilities. I'll look into it more though when I'm in the mood to try and figure that sort of brain drain out.

Yatalai

• Ashen Rose Conspiracy
  • The former sacrificial DK
    • To Boldly Nerd
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
It looks shiny. Will have to play around with it when I get home, stuff like avatars and such.  :D
Kadomi - Yatahari - Yatalai - Yacoran - many other Yas

Krelleth

• Warlock
  • Ashen Rose Conspiracy
  • "I am a wizard, you know"
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
SMF has LOADS of mods to do all kinds of stuff

Here's a thread... http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=541679.0

Also, I will warn you that the Captcha SMF uses has been broken by bots. My advice (based on my own experiences) is to use "KeyCAPTCHA for SMF" for people creating accounts and take Captcha off for posting, because it can get very annoying :D

As long as unregistered posting isn't allowed, and you personally approve all registrations, all should be well.

basically, these 4 packages:

Stop Spammer    2.3.9    [ Uninstall ]
httpBL    2.5.1    [ Uninstall ]
addon_OS_Browser_httpBL    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
KeyCAPTCHA for SMF    2.1    [ Uninstall ]
"Magic is the engineering of coincidence."

Krelleth

• Warlock
  • Ashen Rose Conspiracy
  • "I am a wizard, you know"
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 03:49:17 PM »
Also, did you install the event registration mod? http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3238
"Magic is the engineering of coincidence."

Teena

• Idiot formally known as Fifi
  • ARC Officer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 05:48:15 PM »
Thanks Krell, I'll look in to those spam mods - I need to register with the databases they connect to and sort out some API keys but it's now on my to do list.

Captcha is only required for 1st 3 posts by the way.

Edit: also yes to Event Registration mod

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »

Scratch that, the mod doesn't work with this version of SMF and needs some stuff updated manually in it's files which may be beyond my humble capabilities. I'll look into it more though when I'm in the mood to try and figure that sort of brain drain out.

So, not quite an upvote system on a thread - however, there is a feature called Karma that can be used for a Member. Underneath people's Avatar there is now and Applaud or Smite option - I've literally only just switched this one so I have no idea if it shows to the User who it is who's basically upvoted or downvoted them. I suggest you test it out before you go hating on me for real :P

Taunkee

• Ashen Rose Conspiracy
  • Ex-Mooser of cauldrons
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »
Does the forum support graphical signatures?

Ankrozal

• Relapsing Altoholic
  • Ashen Rose Conspiracy
  • Meow?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
I decided to test smiting the admin. This may have not been my best decision...
A.K.A: Taharne, Venlar and 1000 other names